Translated from German, Zeitgeist means "the spirit of the moment", and is the key principle underpinning AYANA's service philosophy. Here, we share our inside tips and favorite haunts to help you experience the AYANA Zeitgeist.
Dava Chef de Cuisine Jusman So is one of Singapore’s most acclaimed chefs. His 40-seat fine dining restaurant, Sage, was nominated ‘Best New Restaurant’ at the World Gourmet Summit 2008 (the same year Jusman won Best Rising Chef), awarded one of Singapore’s Best Restaurants by Singapore Tatler magazine, and named on the prestigious Miele List in 2010. Since moving to Dava, Jusman has relaunched the menu as modern French and introduced his most popular signature dishes, enhancing them further using local flavors and the best available ingredients to offer a new level of gastronomical refinement. Here, he shares his Top 10 Tips for serving a meal your guests will never forget.
Top 10 tips:
1. Always season whatever you are cooking with salt to bring out the flavor.
2. Always taste your food before serving to your guests.
3. If you don’t like what you see on the plate, chances are that your guests will not like it too. So don’t serve it.
4. Always use a well sharpened knife. It will save you time and energy when cutting meats and vegetables.
5. Use heavy bottom pots and pans. It helps to distribute heat evenly and prevents burning.
6. After cooking, always rest your meats for at least 5 minutes before slicing. It keeps the juices in.
7. Never keep cooked and raw food together in the same container.
8. Fat is essential in cooking as it adds flavor and moisture so be generous. If you are health conscious, use grape seed oil or extra virgin olive oil. If not, hit it with duck fat or lard! You will not regret it. Trust me :)
9. Always use a countdown timer when you are roasting something in the oven or boiling something on the stove. It saves you the trouble of having to wash a burnt pot/tray and start over.
10.When it turns black, it’s definitely cooked! But send it into the trash and start over because it’s definitely burnt too!